We are so excited to bring you a review of The Artful Alphabet Flash Cards from The Artful Educator. This wonderful educational product was created by mom/entrepreneur, Kim Votruba-Matook. The inspiration for The Artful Alphabet was Kim’s family and life experiences, which all culminated into creating the opportunity to creatively solve the problem of making time with her (at the time) newborn son meaningful for any adult at any time. Out of this desire, the The Artful Alphabet was born. Each letter is made up of a mosaic of items that start with that letter, so each interaction can create a unique educational opportunity depending on which item you pick to discuss with your children.
The Artful Alphabet is designed to be aesthetically eye-catching and inspire conversations about geography, the animal kingdom, science, literature, art and more. As an educator, I love the way education meets art with these beautiful letters.
We love the philosophy behind this wonderful company:
“Our philosophy is simple:
1. Educational opportunities are everywhere (sometimes we need help finding them); and
2. I want the (limited) time I have with my child to be valuable, meaningful and fun for both of us.
We believe this holds true for anyone who has children in their lives. Whether you are a parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle or other caretaker, you want the children you cherish to enjoy their time with you and learn something too.”
As a mom and a Speech Language Pathologist myself, I love creative educational activities that provide meaningful learning opportunities. These cards are not only gorgeous, but also provide tons of fun learning opportunities for a range of ages.
My daughters loved playing with the cards, each in their own way. My 7 year old loved looking closely at each letter and telling me about the objects she found. My 3-year-old loved looking at the bright colors and telling me about the animals she found in each letter. She is very into learning about the alphabet and I love exposing her to letters and words around the house to peak her interest and spark conversation on the topic. Of course, each of their favorites were the first letters of their names! Which by the way, The Artful Educator offers as beautiful art prints!
As a Speech Pathologist I am always looking for creative ways to teach my clients and these letters provided lots of super fun learning opportunities! Here are just a few and I know there are lots more to be found:
- The letters are great for articulation practice. I had my clients find the letter that represents the sounds they are working on in speech therapy and then tell me all of the items they saw on the card for lots of great repetitions of the target sound. For children who are working on using their target sound in sentences, I let them pick an object to make up a sentence about. For the children who are still at the phrase level of practice, we used the carrier phrase, “I see_” and filled in the blank with all the cool objects we found on the card.
- The letters are amazing for language therapy as well! I used the cards to play “I spy” with my clients who are working on using more descriptive language and complete sentences and they loved it! Some of my clients are working on storytelling and these provided lots of wonderful ideas for stories using the objects on the letters. You could target categories, prepositions, following directions, and lots of other language goals!
- For my preschool age clients, we used the letters to identify colors, I asked them if they could find certain objects, I asked them questions about the letters, and let them tell which item was their favorite and why.
- These would also be fun to hide and find, or bring around the house to do a scavenger hunt looking for other items that start with the letter or are the same color.
- You might also let your child pick a letter and then grab their favorite book to search for that letter as you read together!
All in all, I would highly recommend this wonderful educational product to my fellow educators, parents, and anyone who is looking for a unique and meaningful gift to give! They are not only beautiful to look at, but they provide endless learning opportunities that are interactive and fun! I have the Art Prints on my wishlist because I love displaying letters and words around the house to build early literacy skills, especially if they are nice to look at!
Visit The Artful Educator to get your very own Alphabet Flash Cards!
We want to thank the Artful Educator for the giving us the opportunity to review this amazing product!
What are your favorite ways to support early learning through meaningful interaction?